Wednesday 23 January 2013

Finder Review (Manga)

Target in the Finder, Book One of the Finder Series

All right, I found this when I was manga-surfing, the equivalent of channel-surfing, through a whole list of Yaoi, and I wasn't really looking for much, basically, smut, eye candy and pretty drawing. I'm not particularly picky about the plot as long as the drawing's good, if I wanted a stunning plot, I'd go hunting down a thriller novel, so essentially I was looking for something frivolous.

But then I came upon this, and my pal, who shares similar tastes as me, had recomended this sometime ago, and I remembered when I saw it. So I thought to myself, 'Cool, why not?' and I clicked the button that said Start Reading. The first chapter was exactly what I was looking for, intense and beautiful in a purely simplistic way, I liked it, in an 'I'll just read this cause my brain's dead and I like looking at pretty pictures when I'm brain dead' kind of way. So I continued.

What I didn't expect was character development, the kind that smacks you in the face and says this isn't just another smutty yaoi, it literally hauled me by the throat and forced me to give my attention. Personally, I like Akihito best, and that's rather strange, since I've always leaned towards the ruthless characters, like Asami.

But in some fundamental way, I believe Akihito's pretty ruthless himself, in the sense that he'd do anything to protect what he places importance on, his friends for one. And he doesn't seem to shy away from the blood and darkness in life, he doesn't quite like it, no one would, but he's able to see reason where all those righteous idiots often don't.

Akihito in essence is, I quote Harry Potter, 'a very good person who bad things have happened to'. And Asami is, in all accounts, ruthless and practical and real. He's flawed in a very perfect way, which inspires a lot of respect on a purely idealogical level. Capable, pragmatic and determined, it's the basic things that'd pull one all the way to the top of the food chain, and ficitonal he may be, Asami's definitely at the top of this food chain.

What really strikes me as simply amazing, is how this author is able to twist cliches and cliffhangers to something actually believable. We have the jaded badass businessman, and the idealistic photographer, they're very sexually compatible and after a series of events, they find trust and on some underlying level, yes, the L-word, love. Frankly, that doesn't seem quite possible if one puts it that way, but Yamane Ayano has managed to make this utterly real.

And in one of the latest chapters, Akihito gets shot, major cliffhanger, of course we find in the next chapter, that the bullet simply grazed him, and it's all really fine and dandy, now that seems like a cliche but it wasn't phrased as a cliche, rather, I'd say it's an extremely telling moment where we scratch the suface of what may be the depth of Asami's feelings for Akihito, and Akihito, clearly vulnerable here, after being kidnapped twice and almost killed a couple of times, also chooses to show the extent of his feelings towards Asami, whom he originally detests.

Also, as a response to the recurring theme of certain reviews: Rape, cliched plot, et cetera. I feel compelled to defend the manga, as a loyal fan.

That said, I do not condone rape in the true sense. Rape as a fantasy, on the other hand, is a completely different thing. The line that separates one from the other is something Laurell K Hamilton deals with plenty in her novels. (The fact that I started on her books at the age of thirteen says something about my views on several controversial subjects.) Rape as a fantasy is certainly distinct in Viewfinder, I will, however, concede, that there are some instances where the line is crossed.

Mainly in the Naked Truth Arc, and probably, in the first chapter of the series (a helluva way to start the series with a bang, isn't it?). And in those instances, I believe it was dealt with as rape, Akihito did feel an emotional, partly psychological, impact. Of course, certain readers may feel that the issue was glossed over too easily, Akihito should be traumatized for life, if not for life, for a longer span of time surely... Personally, I've no problem with Yamane Ayano's plot, Akihito, I would peg, as the type to mentally shy away from the bad things in life.

It's not weak, it's a way of survival.

As I've mentioned in my review previously, I believe Akihito an incredibly strong character, with iron-clad faith in what he believes in. What I fail to find any sense in, is the claims of an overused cliche. Firstly, (I believe I've said this in a review somewhere, so if it's a little familiar, bear with me please) I see no reason why people cry foul at a plot supposedly cliched. There's a reason why certain story lines come off as overused, they work.

Why would authors use it repeatedly, if the plot had been proven a failure to gain a good audience. It's not shallow, it's purely economics. Think comparative advantage. If I've a comparative advantage in this line, clearly I'd direct my resources to it. Opportunity Cost: The opportunity cost of not following the conventional (going unconventional, while heralded as brave by some, and it is brave, I will concede) could mean larger losses if the manga doesn't sell.

And now that I'm done defending all things labelled with 'The Cliched Plot' out there, (Yes, Harlequin, your books are probably it, but I still love them to bits.) Viewfinder is hardly overused. Yes, we have the possessive, sadistic seme, and we have the cheerful, and sometimes a little dense, uke. But Viewfinder's got a gorgeous character arc. No, I didn't mis-type. Character arc. Not art. (Yes, we have gorgeous art too, but that's been mentioned hundreds of times.)

If it was like every other cliche, and I don't use cliche as an insult, mind you, they would have continued to stay as they are, Akihito wouldn't have been tested to his limits, he wouldn't have shown potential to be a tragic hero as much as he's an idiotic one. Asami would have simply remained a thorn in Akihito's side, he wouldn't show so much affection, (I see affection, maybe you don't. Call me shallow and romantic.) or concern over Akihito's well-being. He's got a soft spot somewhere.

Bottom line: I love Viewfinder regardless. I acknowledge the views of others, but ultimately, it's still my drug isn't it?

Review was originally published on: Baka-Updates

No comments:

Post a Comment